Apocalypse

Apocalypse

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

High On Fire - Snakes For The Divine

High On Fire
Snakes For The Divine
E1 Music
CD

I was only recently indoctrinated with High On Fire and I heard enough to want to check out this album. I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking as, generally, metal with vocals like this make me shrug and leave the room (I'm lookin' at you, Dimmu Borgir). The music here only occasionally make up for the limits and shortcomings of the vocals but that is not the norm.

I appreciate just how heavy this is. I really do. There is just something here that lies flat whereas bands like Slayer stick to the script but still make things exciting. It is no surprise to me that the best track on here is the one minute plus instrumental "The Path,". I know that there are a lot of people out there that prefer these growly "vocals" but I don't understand why. Each song trudges along but goes nowhere, which is where I am going to leave this review.

Track Grades:
  1. Snakes For The Divine - 6.9
  2. Frost Hammer - 6.6
  3. Bastard Samurai - 6.3
  4. Ghost Neck - 6.4
  5. The Path - 7.7
  6. Fire, Blood & Plague - 7.3
  7. How Dark We Pray - 6.2
  8. Holy Flames Of The Fire Spitter - 6.0
Overall Grade = 6.68

No comments: